Hours: 36.5 hours per week
Salary: £30,145 to £36,337
Supervised by: Head of IT
Job Contribution: The primary objective of the IT Department is to ensure that the College’s current and future information and communication technology needs are met. In doing so, the IT team are responsible for ensuring that College networks, infrastructure and applications are developed and maintained to ensure they are reliable, effective, secure and future proof.
As a key member of the department, this position will be user facing and have a variety of responsibilities, for which a strong technical skill set and a friendly, personable approach are essential. In providing a first-class service to a wide and diverse group of end-users, we expect the IT Officer to be a strong team player and someone who is naturally customer oriented.
This post will suit someone with experience in a technical IT environment who is seeking to progress their career through the additional challenges offered in this exciting and varied role.
Duties may vary but it is expected that the IT Officer will work on:
• Assist the IT Department as required in operating and maintaining any of the IT systems in use and together with the Head of IT provide cover for routine absences.
• Develop documentation of certain technical systems, as suited to your past expertise or future interests (for example Use of Office Software, Linux servers, Audio-Visual maintenance, Network architecture).
• Assist with desktop and laptop configuration and installation.
• Follow periodic tasks and checklists to support operations.
• Help provide a friendly and approachable First Line IT Support service to users contacting the department through telephone, internet systems and face to face.
• Help develop and maintain posters and signage relating to IT and systems throughout the college.
• Educate and train users where appropriate in the use of specific systems or technologies
• Maintain inventories of equipment and participate in stock-checks.
• Process departmental paperwork such as invoices and purchase orders.
• Undertake training necessary for carrying out the duties of the post and any other training required of college staff (e.g. health & safety training).
• Undertake other duties within the scope of the position that may be assigned by the Senior IT Officer or Head of IT.
Candidates will be selected on the basis of the following selection criteria (candidates should address these in their applications):
• Previous experience of an IT or AV related technical support environment.
• Familiarity with the basic operations and principles of Wireless and Ethernet Networking
• Excellent English written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to follow and contribute to technical documentation, instructions and guidelines
• A welcoming and helpful attitude towards end users
• Desire to work as a team to provide excellent ICT services within a world-class education and research environment.
• The ability to travel on foot between several neighbouring sites and to work within a variety of historic buildings and their cabled infrastructure cabinets, often with limited or restricted access.
Direct experience of administration or professional qualifications in any of:
• Office Desktop Systems: Microsoft Windows (10and 11), Apple Mac, Active Directory, Microsoft Office (2019 and 365), Windows Active Directory / DNS / DHCP.
• VMWare vSphere.
• Enterprise Networking and Wireless systems.
• Experience of delivering and maintaining Audio-Visual systems and control equipment.
• Previous experience of IT Support within Education or the Oxford collegiate environment.